There's nothing like a bacon, egg, and cheese for breakfast -- am I right?
I've taken this classic American combo to the next level by soft scrambling the eggs in the bacon fat and adding jalapeño, avocado, and sliced tomatoes.
Introducing my bacon fat soft scramble: a simple, 10-minute breakfast option -- a mid-week pick-me-up on my list of 5 weekday breakfast bowls.
People often overcook their eggs at home, so pay close attention to the cooking instructions below -- and make sure to take the eggs off the heat before you think they're done!
BACON FAT SOFT SCRAMBLE
- 1-2 slices thick-cut bacon
- Green onions: Whites, sliced thinly. Greens, bias cut (on an angle)
- 1/2 jalapeño, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 eggs
- Extra-sharp white cheddar cheese, thinly grated (I used Black Creek Wisconsin Cheese from Target and this grater)
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- Handful of grape tomatoes, sliced
First, the bacon:
- Add 1-2 slices of thick-cut bacon to hot nonstick pan (I used Epicurious)
- Cook ~3 minutes per side (depending on thickness & desired crispiness); remove and place on paper towel
- Do NOT remove bacon fat from pan!
For the eggs:
*Quick note: don't let the oil from the bacon get too hot! If it's going to take you a minute to start on this next step, remove the pan from heat. Otherwise, you might splash yourself (ouch!) and/or ultimately burn your eggs (sad).
- With oil from bacon in pan, reduce heat to med-low
- Add jalapeño, garlic, and the whites of the green onion to pan; sauté for ~1 minute, until they start to get soft. Careful not to burn the garlic!
- Reduce heat to low; crack 3 eggs directly into pan; cook for 30 seconds
- Use a soft spatula (mine) to scramble eggs; cook for ~1 minute
- Add a heaping handful of cheese and cook for ~30 more seconds. Remove from heat while eggs are not yet done.
- Stir in green parts of green onion; add lid to pan and steam off of the heat for 1-2 minutes. This will give you the perfect soft scramble!
- Add eggs to bowl with bacon, sliced avocado, and bacon. Top with any additional cheese and green onion as desired.