If you have a Vitamix and looooove fresh pesto, then this is the post for you.
The most important thing in making good pesto is the quality of your ingredients. The better (and fresher!) ingredients you use, the better it will be.
Pretty straightforward, right?
That's why I've adapted this kale and basil pesto recipe from Vitamix to include the best ingredients of all, including:
- My favorite olive oil,
- My favorite parmigiano reggiano cheese, and
- Some home-grown basil
I've included the recipe below, a few recipe ideas, and tips for freezing the pesto to use year-round.
I hope you like it!
How to Make the Best Pesto
The most important part of homemade pesto is using great, fresh ingredients.
To me, that means my favorite olive oil (from the Purple Pig!), authentic parmigiano reggiano cheese, and some home-grown basil. On top of that, this recipe adds kale to the recipe, giving an extra richness to the flavor.
- 1/2 cup The Purple Pig olive oil
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese, thinly grated (note: for authentic parmigiano reggiano, look for the name stamped into the cheese)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- pinch of salt
- ground black pepper, to taste
This is the simplest recipe ever:
- Place all ingredients into the Vitamix in the order listed on the left (computer) or above (mobile), and secure lid
- Select Variable 1
- Switch machine to Start and slowly increase speed to Variable 10
- Blend for ~40 seconds
- Enjoy! Note that the resulting pesto is super dense and flavorful, so a little bit goes a LONG way.
*This recipe makes much more than you'll need for 1 serving -- so be sure to freeze some (in an ice cube tray!) to save for later.
How to Use the Pesto
A few drops go a long way. You can...
- Drizzle it on pastas
- Add it to parmesan scrambled eggs
- Stir just a few drops into greek yogurt to make a dip
...and the list goes on!
How to Store the Pesto
The best way to save the pesto for future use is to freeze it into an ice cube tray. It's easy to pull out 1 cube for a future recipe -- just add the pesto ice cube into a hot pan to make a pasta sauce, and you're good to go!
Shop This Post
I hope you like this recipe! If you did, I'd really appreciate a pin and/or share.
Thanks so much. <3 Erin