This is one of the best -- and simplest! -- breakfasts I've ever made. There are just 4 ingredients: eggs, cheese, Greek yogurt, and pesto.
The flavors go together SO. WELL, and it only takes 1 pan. I really think you'll enjoy it.
It's the "Tuesday" option on my list of 5 weekday breakfast bowls.
You can use store-bought pesto, or make it at home if you want to kick things up a notch. I've linked a kale & basil pesto recipe below in case you want to try that. Enjoy!
PARMIGIANO SCRAMBLED EGGS WITH GREEK YOGURT AND PESTO
- Butter or oil
- 3 eggs
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese*, thinly grated
- 1/4 sliced avocado
- Pesto (store-bought or homemade**)
*If you want the BEST & most authentic, get cheese that has "Parmesiano-Reggiano" stenciled on the rind. They'll have it in almost any cheese section; I got mine at Mariano's for ~$7
For the parmigiano scrambled eggs:
- Heat butter or oil in nonstick pan; reduce heat to med-low
- Break 3 eggs directly into pan. After ~30 seconds, take a soft spatula to eggs and scramble them up (note: following these steps gives you a mix of yellows and whites in your eggs)
- After ~1 min, add a big handful of thinly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Remove the pan from heat just before the eggs are done -- when they are still slightly liquid-y. Place a lid on the pan for 1-2 minutes to let the eggs finish cooking from the steam+heat of the pan.
For the pesto:
- If you use store-bought pesto, you can skip this step
- **If you want to make your own pesto, I recommend this Vitamix recipe. I'm going to post my own variation soon! It's super delicious, and you can freeze the extra -- but note it is a little bit expensive to make at home.
- Add eggs, avocado, and a heaping scoop of Greek yogurt (I used FAGE full-fat Greek yogurt) to any bowl
- Drizzle pesto on top